The Women’s Economic Self-Sufficiency Team dba WESST is a statewide 501(c)(3) small business assistance organization committed to supporting individuals in New Mexico who want to start a business or improve the performance of an existing one. Founded by three women in 1989, WESST proudly targets its services to women, people of color and low-wealth New Mexicans.
WESST’s core services include business consulting, training, incubation and access to capital. We employ a “no barriers to entry” approach which means there are no prerequisites that clients have to present, nor do they have to “qualify” or be “selected” for assistance. We are committed to helping transform our clients’ lives by creating a pathway to business success. WESST’s role is to educate, encourage and inspire our clients to achieve their business goals.
In order to make our services as accessible as possible, WESST offers training and consulting in both English and Spanish. Physical accessibility is provided through our 7 offices in Albuquerque, Farmington, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, Roswell and Santa Fe. Each of the offices hosts a Women’s Business Center, funded in part by the U.S. Small Business Administration. WESST is also an SBA Microlender and a CDFI.
Awards and Recognitions
- Albuquerque Economic Development - Community Leadership Award, 2019
- City of Albuquerque & Albuquerque Community Foundation - Mayor’s Prize for Entrepreneurship - 2015, 2016, 2017
- Samaritan Counseling Center - New Mexico Ethics in Business Award, 2011
- Small Business Administration - Women’s Business Center of Excellence Award, 2010
- CNNmoney.com - Seven Hottest Start-up Incubators, 2010
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation - Best Practice Program (Capital Access for Women: Profile and Analysis of U.S. Best Practice Programs, 2007.
- International Women’s Forum - Corporations that Make a Difference, 1993